Re: Rate limiting UDP,Multicast,ICMP

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Nov 13 12:12:44 2001

	Some providers do rate-limit ICMP at the public exchange points.

	But they tend to only limit echo-request and echo-reply

	unreachables, p-mtu and other fun icmp messages are not
limited by these.

	I'm not aware of anyone that would limit udp traffic.  As DNS
is udp, it would not be wise to rate-limit udp flows.

	As far as multicast goes, I'm not aware of anyone running
native multicast that would limit the traffic.  Those still using
DVMRP may have multicast rate-limits in place as to not have a massive
bandwidth sucking sound coming from their general direction.

	- jared