Re: NY ranks #1 in Internet b/w

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Sun Nov 04 12:37:29 2001

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Brett Frankenberger wrote:

> > Well, actually there is a caveat: the distance to the satellite is never
> > exactly 22500 miles. Depending on whether the orbit is measured from the
> > surface of the earth (which is obviously the case for regular
> > non-geosynchronous satellites) or the center of the earth (which I think
> > is done with the 22500 mi figure) the satellite is either farther away or
> > closer, depending on the location of the observer and the orbit of the
> > satellite. The difference is substantial: up to 4000 miles.
>
> geosynchronous orbit is 22500 miles from the *surface* of the earth.

well sorta... it's ~35787km above mean sea-level which is around
22,366 miles. That altitude is about 42164km above a point represting the
earths center of gravity on the equitorial plane.

there's a copy of the wireless world (1945) article by arthur c clarke
here:

http://www.lsi.usp.br/~rbianchi/clarke/ACC.ETRelays.html

the actual distance from you to the sattelite will vary based on your
location but the distance from the point over the equater where it sits to
the sattelite will remain constant...

>      -- Brett

Joel Jaeggli				       [email protected]
Academic User Services			     [email protected]
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.