Re: 214/8 and 215/8

  • From: Simon Lyall
  • Date: Thu Nov 01 13:54:00 2001

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Eliot Lear wrote:
> I'm not sure the current discussion is timely.  Do we really want to start
> a reclaiming effort of IP addresses?  Addresses such as Apple's, HP's,
> IBM's and others were made long before RFC2050.

Well by the looks of things ARIN, RIPE and APNIC are working their way
though about a /8 each every year or so. This means that Class C space (as
such) is going to be used up in a year or two (only 220-223/8 is
unallocated).

There are still over 60 /8s unallocated after that which means we aren't
going to run out for a few years. When the numbers for broadband start
working however things could quickly get tight.

Still it's a bit off when Defence Establishments have /8s and probally a
minimal number of world visable networks while medium sized countries have
less.

A quick check shows that the following /8s have little or nothing of them
advertised into the global routing table. Of course there are probally a
few others that have the /8 ad and almost no actual use.

006/8           Army Information Systems Center
008/8           Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.
011/8           DoD Intel Information Systems
019/8           Ford Motor Company
021/8           DDN-RVN
022/8           Defense Information Systems Agency
025/8           Royal Signals and Radar Establishment
026/8           Defense Information Systems Agency
028/8           DSI-North
029/8           Defense Information Systems Agency
030/8           Defense Information Systems Agency
034/8           Halliburton Company
045/8           Interop Show Network
046/8           Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.
048/8           Prudential Securities Inc.
051/8           Deparment of Social Security of UK
052/8           E.I. duPont de Nemours and Co., Inc.
054/8           Merck and Co., Inc.
056/8           U.S. Postal Service
215/8           US-DOD

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: [email protected]
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: [email protected]