Re: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

  • From: Wojtek Zlobicki
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 16:36:20 2001

> Hi, Bob?  This is Susan.  I haven't received a reply from you regarding
the
> email I sent yesterday, did you get it?  You didn't?  Hmmm.  Let me try
> resending it.
>
> Hi Bob?  This is Susan again.  Did you get that second email
> yet?  No?!  Maybe you should call your ISP to find out why!  Yes,  I
> already called mine, they don't have any info, they say the mail server
> logs show that both the messages were delivered to your ISP.
>
> Hi, Mr. ISP support guy?  This is Bob.  It seems that I'm not getting all
> of my email....
> Collateral damage IS a problem, but that's part of why it works to reduce
spam.

There are ways to get around this.  I participated in a Brightmail beta
sponsored by @Home for two of my personal email accounts.  All my "filtered
mail" was not deleted but moved to some other mailbox.  I had the ability of
logging in periodically and seeing what mail was caught as spam.  False
positives were easy to eradicate (a click or two), one mailing list I was on
was caught as spam and less than 24 hours after submission, mail was flowing
properly again.  I post with my personal email address (without
modification) on Usenet so I get a fair share of spam (20-30 pieces or more
per day among a few of my email accounts).  Brightmail was a godsend, I am
willing to live with a  few false positives and not have to deal with
hitting delete 20 times.