Re: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

  • From: Gregory Urban
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 13:44:48 2001

At 10:45 PM 10/25/2001, Paul Vixie wrote:

> > I am sure, Digital Island gets the necessary permissions from network
> > owners before hammering them with those requests, right?

> The same "permissions" that allow seamless end-to-end connectivity across
> the entire Internet.  The same "permissions" you granted to others when
> you signed the connectivity agreement.

"everything not expressly forbidden is allowed" is a workable model for
peering relationships and even transit relationships, but it only works
within the context of a direct relationship of some kind.
I remember when the Internet was a collaborative collection of networks and network operators attempting to allow seamless connectivity among the users/content on each network. Based on the tone of this thread, those days are long gone.

How much money do I need to send each of you for forcing this email, with an opinion that is contrary to yours, to traverse your network without your expressly stated consent?

Greg U