Peering BOF IV Meeting Notes

  • From: William B. Norton
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 13:06:16 2001

Hi all -

Here are my notes from the Peering BOF IV - NANOG 23
( http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0110/norton.html )

We started at 7:30 PM Monday evening with the intention of pulling the peering community together through introductions. We had about 20 Peering Coordinators step up to the mike, introduce themselves, say a word or two about their network, peering policy and what they are looking for in a peer network. This allowed the audience to put a face to a name for conversations afterwards. Another 10 that didn't pre-register for this stepped up and chimed in as well. From about 8:30 til almost 10PM the community stuck around to talk and I'm told that *dozens* of peering sessions (Yahoo!, Akamai, Carrier1, SBC, etc.) will be set up as a result. Highly successful NANOG for this segment of the population.

Several folks asked for a list of those who stood up to talk about their peering policy, and here is what I have:

BBC Internet Simon Lockhart [email protected]
Digital Island Mitchell Rose [email protected]
DoubleClick Alex Ng [email protected]
TELUS Clinton Work [email protected]
France Telecom/Open Transit Vincent Gillet [email protected]
Globix Steven J. Schecter [email protected]
WINFirst Hansel Lee [email protected]
4CNet Brian Court [email protected]
Akamai Rachel Warren [email protected] / Patrick Gilmore [email protected]
Hostcentric Charlene Wang [email protected]
Japan Telecom Seiji Kuroda [email protected]
Adelphia Joe Klein [email protected]
Earthlink Jeb Linton/Josh Fleishman
Yahoo! Jeffrey Papen [email protected]
SBC Ren Nowlin [email protected]
Carrier1 Eric Troyer [email protected]
ESNet Joe Metzger [email protected]
Velocita Brian Dickson [email protected]

I want to thank these folks for volunteering to share their info and hopefully this led to some sessions coming up. <a bunch of folks came up to the mike but I don't remember the names except for Paul Vixie. I remember there were people in this group that included e-bay, Microsoft, Comcast.>

Speaking of which, if Peering Coordinators would like to participate in the Peering Contact Database and receive a copy once a month or so of the Peering Contact Database, send e-mail to [email protected] and I'll return the template to fill out. So far we have about 150 Peering Coordinators listed.

Several suggestions were made for the next time:
- Include a "Peering Contracts Required" icon and
- "Make it easy for folks to step up later along with Icons" and
- "Include e-mail addresses"

We're going to try and factor in these suggestions for the Peering Personals at the next Gigabit Peering Forum which is held Dec 3rd in San Jose. If you are a Peering Coordinator and would like an invite to this let me know.

For those who could not attend due to travel restrictions or whatever I'd be happy to e-mail the slides with the peering icons and ISP names etc.

Hope this helped -

Bill

William B. Norton Co-Founder and Chief Technical Liaison Equinix
[email protected] 650.315.8635