Re: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 09:05:04 2001

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 06:26:43PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> Note, I'm waiting for this to happen with cell phones.  As people
> move from land lines to cell phones which can't be tele-solicited
> today I can see a cell provider offering a value add service where
> the telemarketer can pay an additional fee to cover the costs of
> the call.  It's 1-800 in reverse, billing the sender.  More $$$'s
> for cell providers, and if telemarketers find it's the only way to
> reach people I'm sure they will pay to do it.  Once the receiver
> isn't being charged for the calls I doubt and legislative body
> would block it.

	I see some serious issues here.  Cell phones are not
geographically linked as land-lines are.  There is a variable cost
in delivering the call to the phone.  If I take my at&t cell
phone, get them to send me the GSM card so while I'm traveling
in europe/africa/wherever I can get calls the last thing
I want is to be +/- 6 hours and be woken up.  In the same vein
it's illegal for them to make unsolicated calls unless they are
during the hours of 9am-9pm.

	If I live in Eastern time and am traveling and in Hawaii
and they call me at 9am Eastern and i'm just getting to sleep
that would open them up to litigation.  (the problem is that even though
calls to cell-phones are illegal by telemarketers they must call more
than 2 times in a year).

	I've also had friends that have moved from one coast to
the other and kept the same cell phone# as there is no difference
in their costs either way and want to keep their friends/family
on the other coast as a local call.

	I'd rather see a solution whereby they are forced to
deliver caller-id of their marketing firm or company name.  This way
I can continue to decide to take the call.  Unless i'm expecting your
call and know you don't show up on caller-id you are not likely to be
answered unless i'm feeling like entertaining myself.

	It would be not too complicated to add-in sending the name
along with the numerical caller-id info.

	- Jared

(this is getting very off-topic, setting reply-to:)