Re: Pinging Yahoo! (WAS: Getting hacked by Digital Isle?)

  • From: mike harrison
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 22:11:35 2001

> It is interesting to note that Yahoo! presented @ NANOG a couple days ago
> they were getting XX Mbps (15? I forget) of ICMP traffic.  They mentioned
> they could use this data in a decision whether to considering limiting ICMP
> (without actually saying they were considering limiting ICMP).

Ok.. I'm guilty of this as well, in fact my 'network watcher' sent
a single ping to www.yahoo.com every 15 minutes until your post.
I just turned it off.

Now, here's a real issue, many of us probably have similiar systems
that ping upstream connections and page/alert/log when there are
problems. My 'watcher' could also grab a web page (checking port 80)
or do other tests, but I have always assumed that the ping was the least
amount of traffic easily and reliably sent to check connectivity.

Whats the best way to monitor upstream connectivity for this purpose?