RE: EXAMPLE: ### xxx Canada detected a penetration attempt from 209.123.x.229. Incident# xxxx

  • From: Mike Batchelor
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 18:28:27 2001

The problem with automated notifications to IDS alerts is that they are
justified with faulty reasoning.

1.  I get too many security alerts, and notifying the responsibile parties
takes too much of my time.
2.  Most notifications are the same thing, only the addresses and timestamps
are different.
3.  I'll automate the notifications to save me time.
.... few days later ....

4.  Damn!  My inbox is overflowing with people responding to my automated
notifications!  It's taking too much time to answer them all.

He should have stopped at #1, first phrase:  "I get too many security
alerts."  Well dude, configure your IDS properly.  Not every spark grows to
be a four alarm fire.