RE: [SOT Rant] Non-hostile probes / opt-in/out

  • From: James Thomason
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 16:40:35 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Quibell, Marc wrote:

> LOL!
>
> I believe that the question should be: Why are you pinging me? Tell me what
> admin who sees thousands of ping from one host does not investigation the
> nature? Do mean to say that if you were to log thousands of pings, you would
> ignore them?
>
> Also many ping attacks start with harmless ping probes.

The example you gave noted 2400 ICMP echo requests in a three hour
period.  On most systems I have worked with, the standard ping utility
sends ICMP echo requests at a rate of one per second.  This is 3600 echo
requests per hour, 10800 in a three hour period.

In my experience,  is fairly common place to leave ping running for
extended periods of time to observe network performance and detect
intermittent problems.

I would think this number of echo requests from a single host in such a
timeframe is hardly abnormal, and I could care less.

Should I receive 10800 echo requests in less than a minute I could become
concerned, depending on the popularity of the system in question.