Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

  • From: Dave Siegel
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 13:21:05 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 12:48:39PM -0400, [email protected] reportedly typed:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:32:39 PDT, Dave Siegel said:
> > If you have a list of prefix's you intend to measure, it would not be
>
> If.
>
> This list comes from *where*?

If you intend to measure a set of prefixes using a method that might be
considered intrusive, you have a list of prefixes, no?

The line is drawn with intent and scope.

We aren't talking about 5 ping packets as part of path MTU discovery.
We aren't even talking about 5 ping packets sent as part of a ping
triangulation in response to an http request.

We're talking about intentional measurement of a network, on a scale large
enough to concern a network administrator.

It's really not that hard to know when you're doing the right thing or
the wrong thing.  You feel it in your gut.  Of course, this is a by-product
of the way you were raised.  Either you are taught about common courtesies
or you aren't.  Application of the Golden Rule is pretty easy.

If you feel that MTU path discovery is inconsiderate, then I suppose you
should take action that let's you sleep at night.  It certainly wouldn't
bug me.

In the end, no one will ever agree on where the line is drawn.  This
discussion is dragging on needlessly.

Signing off,

Dave

--
Dave Siegel
HOME   520-877-2593   dave at siegelie dot com