Re: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 04:20:42 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 01:02:29AM -0600, Pete Kruckenberg stated:
[snip]
> By this reasoning, I could never send an email or make a
> phone call or go visit everyone (especially a new
> acquaintance), because if /everyone/ sent them an email, or
> called them, or visited them, it would certainly be
> unwelcome (and possibly cause injury). My singular action is
> within the range considered fair and reasonable, where
> everyone doing it (or in fact, even just a few dozen people
> doing it) would probably not.

therefore, given current technology, it is up to the receiver to state when
he/she/they no longer wish to receive traffic of type X (be it network probes
well-intentioned or otherwise). And it is up to the sender to STOP sending
said traffic upon receipt of such a statement. Not to reply saying, "We've
done nothing wrong, we're just trying to improve network performance" (note
that this performance gain is obviously not going to be on the receivers'
side; at least not during the scans) and continue the inappropriate traffic.

As with many things, there is a need for common sense and common courtesy.
Neither of which are nearly as common as they should be.

--
Scott Francis                   [email protected] [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t
Systems/Network Manager          [email protected] [work:]         t o n o s . c o m