Re: NetSol's PGP auth ... and the road not taken

  • From: David Shaw
  • Date: Wed Oct 24 18:27:17 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 03:38:35PM -0700, J.D. Falk wrote:

> On 10/22/01, Joe Rhett <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > i've been trying to add a pgp key to the verisign/netsol database for the
> > > past two weeks. i've sent four messages, opened three web help requests,
> > > and spent three hours on the phone with their helpdesk. they know less
> > > than their customers about their own procedures and web documentation for
> > > adding keys for PGP guardian auth.
> >
> > Don't waste your time. We had PGP auth working for the last 6 years. It
> > will slow down any change you want to make by 3-5 days. Around 30% will get
> > rejected for no reason whatsoever, and much more fun stuff.
>
> 	I've had PGP AUTH broken for the last 6 years, and had the same
> 	kind of experience.  I just finished an ENTIRE MONTH of calling
> 	a couple of times a week to get a simple host record fixed.  In
> 	one call, somebody changed me from PGP AUTH to MAIL-FROM without
> 	effectively confirming that I was really me.

I wrote this in March of 1999:

  I have gone to silly lengths to ensure that I am giving them a valid
  signature.  Once I signed the template, and then verified the
  signature. I then copied it to another machine with a different PGP
  version and re-verified the signature. Then I mailed it to myself
  off-site and verified the signature on the remote system to ensure
  the mail system wasn't breaking something.  Finally, I mailed it to
  [email protected] and cc'd myself on and off-site.  Both
  copies I got back verified fine.  The Internic took a few days and
  then bounced it because they couldn't verify the signature.

It never improved, and I eventually gave up.  I'm using OpenSRS now.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  [email protected]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/