Re: NetSol's PGP auth ... and the road not taken

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Mon Oct 22 12:36:39 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:24:17AM -0700, Joe Rhett wrote:
> Don't waste your time. We had PGP auth working for the last 6 years. It
> will slow down any change you want to make by 3-5 days. Around 30% will get
> rejected for no reason whatsoever, and much more fun stuff.

I find these comments interesting.  I have been using PGP auth for
a number of years and found it to work just fine.  I have found
most of the problems people have mentioned to be them running PGP
wrong, and/or using new versions of PGP before Netsol got them
working.  I've only ever had one request get hung up, and it was
because I sent them a ASCII-Armored request, rather than a cleartext
signed copy.

Just to be sure, I just submited a number of changes I had been
sitting on, with PGP.  4 minutes later automated e-mail back that
the changes had been made and all is well.  Since their documentation
sucks, some tips:

1) Your message must be signed cleartext.  They need to be able to
   parse the text, in particular to get your keyid before running
   it through PGP.  I'm not sure why this is, but it is the way it
   is, so just do it.  Note, this implies you cannot encrypt your
   message, just sign it.

2) Use older PGP / keys.  I still use 2.6.2 keys with them, and I
   know of people using 5.0 keys.  Anything newer may cause issues.

3) Make sure your auth type is set to PGP _AND_ they key-id is
   filled in.  If you fill out the automated forms on the web there
   is no way to enter a key id, you must manually edit the file
   they send you in e-mail.

If your message is wrong for any reason, it will get bounced to a
human, and most of the humans have no idea what to do with a bad
PGP request (particularly an encrypted one that they can't even
read) so they do sit.  It's like getting soup in a Seinfeld show,
do it right, you get soup, do it wrong, and well, "no soup for
you!"

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440