Re: NOC Question

  • From: Timothy Brown
  • Date: Fri Oct 19 20:25:31 2001

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 02:27:01PM -0700, Brian Whalen wrote:

> Of course when it looks like mission control, customers are always being
> paraded through, and nocsters generally dont like that.  I once worked in
> a NOC where they had a conference room next to it with quick open and
> close shutters.  So you'd be workin, then on display all of a sudden
> without warning.  I really loathed that.
>
> Brian "Sonic" Whalen
> Success = Preparation + Opportunity

Our own NOC has a glass wall on the side where people can see in.
this bothered the engineers, so we added privacy filters to their
workstation displays.  It's a display NOC, but if anyone wants to come
in, they have to set up an appointment and even that isn't final;
the network operations center manager has to give final approval.
If there's an operations situation going on, then no distractions
are allowed.  Customers respect us more knowing a) we have a NOC
and they can see the engineers inside and b) we care about our service
enough not to allow distractions to our operations folks.

There are ways to balance "mission control" and "functional"
environments, but that goes without saying.

Tim