RE: [NEWS] FBI To Require ISPs To Reconfigure E-mail Systems (fwd)

  • From: Greg Pendergrass
  • Date: Fri Oct 19 17:35:45 2001

	I really think we have a very long way to go until we are living in a
police state. The FBI has the right to set up many kinds of surveillance
including wire tapping, tailing, reading out mail, listening to our phones,
all of which can be used as evidence. Them having the ability to read my
email as well isn't going to make me head for Montana and join the an
extremist group. Keep this in perspective: Our government has all the tools
it needs to create a very efficient police state and has had the ability to
do so for some time. The fact remains that we don't have a police state yet
and are not heading in that direction. In fact, when new surveillance
techniques have conme out in the past there was always talk about what it
would do to our freedoms. The supreme court has had many landmark decisions
in the past limiting the use of these techniques in a way that most
Americans can live happily with, and this one will be no different.

	I personally am very satisfied with the system we have: a system that is
strong enough to provide good services and defense to most of it's people
yet flexible enough to let an incredibly diverse group of people work and
live together to create the most powerful nation on earth. I don't think
Omnivore is going to send us on the slippery slope into opression. I will
let the FBI set it up and rely on the mechanisms of Democracy limit it's
use.

Greg Pendergrass