Re: [NEWS] FBI To Require ISPs To Reconfigure E-mail Systems (fwd)

  • From: steve uurtamo
  • Date: Fri Oct 19 16:33:59 2001

> Yes, sometimes breaking the law in order to force a test case so there's
> a judicial review of the constitutionality is required.  But unless you're
> trying to be either a test case or a martyr, you're stuck with the law until
> it's changed.

not entirely true.  civil disobedience straddles the line (or goes over it
and breaks the law) and is a very effective way to make a point.  and is
often required in order to bring awareness about with respect to the problem
in the law.  keep in mind that law enforcement can only arrest, process, and
convict so many people for a minor crime before people start taking notice
and asking themselves questions.  there's a great tradition here of civil
disobedience, and it's important that it remain so.  it's a very populist
way to get your point across, and does little to no harm.

i'm not suggesting sending terabytes of data at congressional offices, or
swamping them with forms to process, i'm just saying that being a good
doobie and staying the course and standing straight at attention in line
aren't your only options.  and it's good that they shouldn't be.

anonymous email servers, anonymous web browsing services, etc., etc. are
all important to the healthy give and take between law enforcement's desire
to track every last thing that you do and say and a citizen's right to run
free code on their own data.  if i write code, run it on my own data, and
ship that data around to other people, i'm not breaking a law.  so why should
i be _forced_ to make it easier for the feds to, say, decrypt my data?

(a good isp would have anonymous/encrypted email, browsing, etc., services
available to their customers.  if they all did, the feds wouldn't be able
to get access to the data they want without disrupting service to customers.
i'm pretty sure people wouldn't be too keen on that.)

there's a nice tension that has always existed between groups like the FBI
and groups like the ACLU.  i'd hate to see that disappear into the misty
void of idealized gung-ho zealotry that seems to be enveloping otherwise
smart people these days.

s.