Re: [NEWS] FBI To Require ISPs To Reconfigure E-mail Systems (fwd)

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Fri Oct 19 15:28:54 2001

Warning: dangerously irrelevant and completely off-topic for the NANOG list.

> I'd never have guessed that Vixie was a supporter of a police state.

You've got me all wrong.  I support the police in my state (country).

> I'll stop supporting democracy when they pry my vote out of my cold dead
> hands....

Right.  When my kids and I line up for exercises at the local school most
mornings, you'll find me, hat in one hand and the other over my heart,
facing the flag, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, and meaning every word
of it except maybe the part about God which I consider to be ambiguous.
And when paying taxes I am particularly glad that the cost of my family's
security comes at merely a cost measurable as a fraction of my income.
YMMV of course.  If you don't like the deal you're being offered you should
find a better one.

Somewhere along with the power to vote particular politicians in or out
must come some respect for the laws those people create, even the ones we
don't think are perfect.

The FBI has a hellish job on their hands right now.  Actually it's been a
hellish job for a long time but it seems like only recently we're all aware
of how hellish it is.  I don't think that redefining what an ISP is in order
to blunt the obvious intent of Omnivore (or whatever) is a useful exercise
of democratic power.