Re: [NEWS] FBI To Require ISPs To Reconfigure E-mail Systems (fwd)

  • From: batz
  • Date: Thu Oct 18 14:12:02 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:

:I was refering to why something like Altivore wouldn't satisfy the unknown
:requirements the FBI has.

Do we know if specifications will have to be made public?

I can't imagine mail administrators and sysadmins all having to get
public trust (or higher) clearances.

Is there a definition of 'ISP' in the US, either in this proposed
legislation or other?

We could speculate forever about juristdiction (over trans-national
networks) and implications of these sort of things, but it would be
nice to have some solid info.

-j

p.s.

<short rant>

The first step in developing any security policy is to enumerate and
appraise the things that the policy will be designed to protect.
Evidently, there has been no public consultation on what the
recent legislation in various countries has been designed to
protect.

Most of the measures which have been demanded by our
leaders have the symptoms of a security policy, and use
technologies which would be used to enforce a policy, but
there has been no public discussioin of what they actually
think they are protecting.

Of all the new sources offering analysis, opinion and
their own brand of earnest reason, I'll take the Onion
over CNN any day.

"Freedoms Curtailed in Defense of Liberty".

Brilliant.

</short rant>

--
batz