Toll-free and teleconference services on 9/11

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Oct 13 22:04:59 2001

How well did toll-free and teleconference services
work in 9/11?

Four ISPs told me they couldn't get through to their upstream's
toll-free customer service numbers for most of the day on 9/11.
And one ISP told me their teleconference service couldn't set
up a call for unspecified reasons.

There have also been several reports in the newspapers, and
from customers that customer service call centers were evacuated,
so there was no one to answer the call if it did get through.

All the carriers I asked replied their systems worked.

I'm trying to figure out if these were isolated problems or
widespread.  How well did your NOC-to-NOC communications work?