Re: BGP noise tonight? (fwd)

  • From: Christopher A. Woodfield
  • Date: Tue Oct 09 12:31:05 2001

As it turns out, both 2008 and 3300 are Infonet, US and Europe. So this
was their foo.

The problem is obviously that the RFC-proscribed behavior with bad
prefixes works on paper, as it serves to isolate the network originating
the problem prefix. However, that is totally dependent on /every/ router
doing so, thus preventing the problem from spreading, which as we
discovered, does not happen.

The ideal alternative behavior is to drop the bad prefix--not dropping
the peer, but not passing the bad prefix along either. I've been told that
there are recent Cisco IOS revs that do this instead of passing it along,
but they have other unresolved bugs that prevent their widespread use.

Should someone think about possibly updating the RFC?

-Chris

--