Re: Filtering Best Practices, et al (Was Verio Peering, Gordon's Knot)

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Oct 09 12:01:31 2001

	Recent versions of IOS support a cool feature:

	"ip verify unicast source reachable-via any"

	which can be installed on interfaces.  This will silently drop
(assuming you're using cef) packets sourced from prefixes that you do
not have a route for.

	ie: if you don't have 10/8 in your routing table, and someone
sends you a packet sourced from 10.0.0.3 it will get dropped.

	that will drop all your rfc1918 space (with the obvious caveat of if
you route it) at the edge or in the core easily.

	as for non-packet filters, i defer to the plethora of threads

	- jared