Re: (now OT) dns based loadbalancing/failover

  • From: Timothy Brown
  • Date: Mon Oct 08 07:45:36 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 09:59:56PM -0700, Gregory Hicks wrote:

> You know, as the former editor/moderator of the Info-IBMPC Digest list
> for a fair number of years, and not having subscribed to the
> namedroppers list, I frequently edited the content of postings (if only
> to make them more readable and/or to tone down rantings), rejected
> others (sometimes with an explanation of how to make it more suitable
> for publication, sometimes without one.  Usually with an explanation
> though...)
>
> Sometimes I ran the changes by the submitter, sometimes not...
> Depended on how much 'editing' I had to do.

I don't think the point is necessarily what a moderator has rights
to do.  The point is, on mailing lists of IETF working groups, if a
message fits the charter then there is no reason not to post it,
with minor editing if necessary.  It is a conflict of interest if the
moderator removes commentary about himself *if* the commentary is
in keeping with the charter.   The question is, of course, how strictly
is the charter interpreted and is their prejudice against the poster
who is having his posts moderated.

Irregardless of the above opinion, this is not a topic for NANOG and
should be moved to nanog-offtopic.

Tim