Re: dns based loadbalancing/failover

  • From: Fletcher E Kittredge
  • Date: Sun Oct 07 12:38:34 2001

On Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:48:05 -0400  Mary Grace wrote:
> If you are saying that you would like to contribute a specimen, especially
> a particularly collectible early 1997 version with BSDlite 4.4 source prior
> to the fixes for transparency of ecommerce traffic, please write me as
> [email protected] and our non-profit will be glad to respond!
>
> We even have an original mid-70s Imsai/Altair 8800, as well as a PDP8a with
> paper punch tape circa 1967, and even one of the first personal computers,
> a circa 1970 TI with 16 mini toggle switches for clocking in programs and a
> whopping 500bytes of memory.  In addition to the standard pre-LED grain of
> wheat bulbs output panel, it had an option for a Hollerith card reader
> input.  Not many people then who had any preference at all about getting a
> life were punching out decks of cards for personal use.  Good old Dancing
> Man Jim Treybig gave us a circa 1984 Tandem NonStop, to go with our "Joe
> Boyd" Harris 1000 with VOS from the same failed Tandem satellite program
> "Infosat" that Tandem and Harris partnered on in 1985 in Santa Clara.
>
> Your cache router was one of the first in its field, too.  The history of
> the internet is indeed richer fot it.

Mary;

	If this is for a reputable museum with a demonstrable
commitment to preserving internet history and making it available to
scholars and the public, I might be able to get you some real Internet
historical items.  We are talking some of the first routers to run
IPv4 circa 1980, 1822 Interfaces, etc.

regards,
fletcher