Re: dns based loadbalancing/failover

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Sun Oct 07 11:55:42 2001

> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:17:39 +0200
> From: bert hubert <[email protected]>

[ snip ]

> It gets even better - recursing nameservers have the habit of
> locking in to nameservers that respond quickest. So you even
> get some loadbalancing awareness.

Odd.  I've investigated this effect (well aware of it in theory)
with stateside-only machines, and DNS frequently returns a
horrible choice.  Maybe caching prevents enough authoritative
answers from being returned to cancel out the noise, but I've
seen the opposite of what you report.

> We operate nameservers in the US and in Europe, and we
> definitely see this effect.

Maybe it works well over different continents, but simple "use
different IPs from different NS" has not given desirable results
in my experience.

Then we have the failover and TTL issues...

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence