Re: slightly OT : versign complaint department

  • From: beldridg
  • Date: Fri Oct 05 20:50:13 2001

hi all,

an update to my post (i know, bad form). a friend or two has informed me
of a few errors. i think, in general, most people don't understand the
relationship between the "registry" and the different "registrars."

i've asked this person if a FAQ is possible.

here is the update:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> i've been trying to add a pgp key to the verisign/netsol database for
> the past two weeks. i've sent four messages, opened three web help
> requests, and spent three hours on the phone with their helpdesk. they
> know less than their customers about their own procedures and web
> documentation for adding keys for PGP guardian auth.

i discovered the whole problem is with the verisign _registrar_ and not
the _registry_ (i originally thought the registry owned the database of
host and contact records and the pgp keyserver).

the _registry_ does own the "canonical" host database, but the only way to
make changes is through your _registar_. the _registrar_ is responsible
for authenticating end users before updating the _registry_ database.

after multiple e-mail support questions, 4 key ADD messages and 4 hours of
phone calls, i never got another response from the verisign _registrar_.

i finally tried adding a PGP key again and it worked. i guess i woke up
the mice on the treadmills in the computers at the verisign _registrar_.

i guess the only thing i can do is move my one remaining domain record
away from the veri$ign _registrar_. of course, they won't refund the
unused portion of my $35 even though their customer service is absolutely
horrific (so much for a SLA).

i recommend that everybody move their money away from the verisign
_registrar_ and use any other one - i don't even care which one. :)

- brett