Re: "Virtual" multi-homing providers

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Fri Oct 05 18:13:40 2001

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Ng Pheng Siong wrote:

> I'm looking at deploying "POPs" at several IDCs across the globe.
>
> Each POP will contain several servers. (At most ten.) I would like each POP
> to use the same set of IP addresses; connections to these IP addresses will
> get to the nearest POP by virtue of routing.

[...]

> Are there providers of such?

There are some ISPs and colo facilitators that work world wide. Having the
same ISP AND the same data center people in each location will probably
not be easy, though. And is there an important reason why you'd want to?

I would advise against choosing a single network, since that will at least
partially negate the advantages of "multihoming".

> Will I be able to get a globally routable IP block for my AS?

For a hand full of hands full of servers? You could probably get a /24 or
a /23 at most. Those are not guaranteed to be globally routable. However,
you could request address space from the ISP at your main location, and
announce that address space at all locations. In places where this
announcement is filtered, you will still be reachable over your main ISPs
aggregate.

> Or is my best bet to pick one provider which has global presence?

Large ISPs are less likely to peer with smaller networks at regional
exchange points. I would get a really large network as the main one and
use addresses from them, and medium sized networks that peer at several
regional exchange points for the other locations.

Iljitsch van Beijnum