Re: No more MMDS fixed wireless networks?

  • From: Curtis Maurand
  • Date: Thu Oct 04 08:29:27 2001

There are an awful lot of small ISP's out there doing fixed wireless and
making a bit of money at it.  They're not doing MMDS, they're doing 802.11
and just getting it done.  Better yet, they have no recurring loop costs
to contend with.  That Nokia rooftop system looks pretty cool from where I
sit.

Curtis Maurand
System Administrator
lamere.net powered by Prexar

*** My opinions are not those of my employer. ***

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Bora Akyol wrote:

> If they actually did this, it is about time they finally woke up and
> smelled the coffee.
>
> There is pretty much no way any wireless (or free space optical)
> technology is going to compete with wireline (including FTH) in an area
> where there is abundant infrastructure. The capacity in  fixed wireless
> technologies even with the latest advances in technology including MIMO
> antenna arrays, CDMA etc is just not there. When you start talking
> mobile wireless data delivery, the price/performance ratio changes
> making wireless delivery of information profitable provided that you
> don't pay XXX billion dollars for bandwidth. Another alternative is
> using fixed wireless in areas without infrastructure including
> continents other than North America.
>
> I once participated in a similar analysis for another broadband fixed
> wireless delivery network and the capacity to support enough subscribers
> such that the scheme broke even was simply unsupportable in the spectrum
> that was allocated for the system given the power and antenna size
> restrictions.
>
> Bora Akyol
>
> On Wednesday, October 3, 2001, at 04:36 , Christopher J. Wolff wrote:
>

> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I heard today that Sprint is ready to capitulate to the FCC and
> > reassign the
> > radio spectrum it occupies in most major markets (MMDS) to mobile
> > use.  I
> > guess they will be shutting off the Sprint Broadband Internet product
> > in 30
> > days.  Can anyone corroborate this?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Christopher J. Wolff, VP, CIO
> > Broadband Laboratories, Inc.
> > http://www.bblabs.com
> > email:[email protected]
> > phone:520.622.4338 x234

Curtis Maurand		     System Administrator
lamere.net Powered by Prexar http://www.lamere.net
mailto:[email protected]     Linux, OS/2, Windows (any flavor)
http://www.prexar.com	     Cisco, OpenRoute, Lucent
                             MySQL, SQL Server, PHP, Perl