Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Sean M. Doran
  • Date: Wed Oct 03 08:57:24 2001

| Multihoming costs a lot of money

I have had a couple friends -- gamers, rather than network techs --
ask me how they could take advantage of their various household
broadband connections (cable, DSL and ethernet-from-bredbandsbolaget.se)
to increase their download speeds, handle upstream outages, and
improve RTTs to selected targets.   Admittedly their providers are
unlikely to offer them "true multihoming" in the BGP + PI prefix
sense, however I think it is an indication of demand in need of
some supply.   The supply is not horrifically expensive for at
least one of the broadband providers, and the others could
in principle constrain their _local_ costs enough that passing
them down to my friends would not result in an unaffordable option.

Is this a trend, or do I simply collect friends who are completely
unreflective of reality?   Is my estimation that for at least some
broadband providers, per-household/per-customer BGP is a operational
expense rather than one requring the capital purchase of new equipment,
completely out-to-lunch (in advance of an interesting new product
launch in the next few days)?

	Sean.