Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Tue Oct 02 18:54:04 2001

--On Tuesday, 02 October, 2001 6:33 PM -0400 Jeff Mcadams <[email protected]> wrote:

I could *EASILY* renumber out of one of the prefixes that I have (a
/24), in a heartbeat, but I have absolutely no incentive to do
so
Those who propose filtering a la Verio / Sprint(passim) suggest that
your incentive to renumber is that certain other (not in the line
of transit) networks will not accept these prefixes (or apply more
stringent dampening on them), and hence give you inferior routing
either permanently (filtering) or temporarilly (dampening), assuming
you have a covering netblock.

Of course if you have a swamp /24, the filtering argument doesn't
apply, but the dampening one does.

Aside: It's interesting that all the anti-filtering arguments are
coming from those who are customers of Filterer's peers. We have heard
that Filterer doesn't filter its own customers, but we haven't heard
Filterer's BGP customers complaining (at least in this forum) that they
are missing routes and hence have suboptimal connectivity to Filterer's
peers' customers. As last 3 letters of NANOG indicate, we here should
perhaps be interested in designing filtering policies which
attract happy paying customers - so far few people have suggested
an upstream with aggressive peer filtering is a worse upstream.
(Ducks from torrent of mail)

--
Alex Bligh
Personal Capacity