wanted: 'beacon' hosts ?

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Tue Oct 02 10:53:27 2001

I don't really know what to ask for or who, so redirection is welcome.

I am setting up some monitoring from within our AS to a handful of sites
scattered around the UK and the rest of the world. Now, I get annoyed when
someone reads the same file off my web server evey five minutes, so I am not
going to do it to anyone else without permission.

Can anyone help (reciprocally would be fine) by providing permission to use
ICMP Echo and HTTP GET requests against something on their network (that is
well connected and reliable) so that I can build SLA-targetted averages for
performance and packet loss ?

I *DO NOT* want to get involved in buying this data from anyone please. I am
very happy to provide this service in return, or even just for the sake of
it without anything back. What I evisage is the 5-miutely 'GET'ing of a
20k-ish text file from a web server and a group of 5 ICMP Echos at about the
same intervals...

PS I know this is NANOG, but I am even more interested in hearing from UK
and European networks.

PPS If people are willing to offer this as a 'public' service, I will
happily summarise back to the list and/or build a web site with details.

Peter