RE: Long haul latency calculation?

  • From: Bruce Morgan
  • Date: Sun Sep 30 22:41:14 2001

Hi Chris,

On long haul and reasonable bandwidth, I figure as a rough estimate to
divide the distance in kilometers by 100 will be a very close approximation
to an RTT in ms. For instance I get 147 ms ICMP RTT on the Southern Cross
Sydney-Seattle link where the fibre path is about 14700 km. It assumes a
transmission speed close to .66 the speed of light. The calculation using
miles is a little messier ;-)

Bruce