Re: The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Mr. James W. Laferriere
  • Date: Sun Sep 30 13:06:55 2001

	Hello All,  Darn I hate this , But I have to chime in here .

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2001, at 20 h 6,
> "Joseph T. Klein" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Yeah right. I suggest you look at real world loaded 7200s. They have
> > problems with full routing tables.
> I don't know, I don't use Ciscos and I don't regret it.
> > >Any Taiwan-made PC can swallow much more. The limit is not clear but is
> > >certainly far away from us.

> > I want to you to put a couple of channelized DS-3s, an ATM OC12c,
> > and a POS OC48c to your backbone plus all the BGP peers you can sign
> > up at AADS on a PC.
> Come on, I did not say that a PC can handle everything, just that it can
> handle easily 100k routes.
	It is now quite possible to have a 64bit pci system with an oc-48
	card in it .  Check around folks they are there .  Not cheap at
	all but available .  The chennelised cards may be a little harder
	to find but I'd even bet they're out there already .  I do know
	the oc-12c cards are .  Try Marconi or InterPhase or ...

> I don't know the limit but neither do you (did you try the funny experiment
> you suggest or are you just guessing?) The only thing I'm sure, because I run
> it daily, is that 100k routes is not a lot for today's machines.
	Joe May darned well have tried ;-) .  But I and maybe a few others
	may even know that the Larger optical cards are available .  I
	sure have not seen any mention on this list about them .  Or any
	other lists for that matter .  Twyl ,  JimL

> > The black and white simplicity expressed by people on this forum is
> > unbelievable.
> The ability of some people to continue the discussion about the "routing table
> explosion" legend as if we were still in a world of 64 mega-bytes routers
> (with a Motorola 68020) is unbelievable.

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |
       | [email protected] | Coudersport PA 16915 |   only  on  AXP |