Re: The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 22:46:19 2001

At 07:09 PM 9/28/2001 -0700, Sean M. Doran wrote:
>Patrick writes:
>
>|  >Wouldn't it have been easier for small ISP to just aggregate?
>|  >I mean, /19s got through after all!
>|
>| No, it would not have helped.  Assume the prospective customer has a link
>| to UUNET and a /24, but wants a second link for [insert reason].  He now
>| goes to SmallISP.com and asks for info on getting a second T1.  Then the
>| Sprint sales guy calls him and mentions that IF AND ONLY IF he buys a line
>| from Sprint, will Sprint hear his /24.
>
>Let's see.  Firstly, this is a valid point, although I wonder how
>Sprint's sales person could possibly know she or he should call
>the customer in the first place.  Unless Sprint is known to employ
>psychics, this seems like a bit of a stretch in producing a bete noire.

Gimme a break.

s/the Sprint sales guy calls him and/he calls a Sprint sales guy who/

Geez.....

>Secondly, /24 is not a small ISP, but wants a small ISP to back-up
>connectivity to UUNET.  Valid goal.  However, asking small ISP
>to ensure the world hears the hole in UUNET's CIDR block is not
>a good solution.

Why not?

>Instead:
>
>	1. this is one reason why NAT was invented in the first place,
>           and (hopefully) NAT is feasible for /24 (which is not an ISP)

This would cause depletion of address space faster.

>	2. where NAT is impractical or even undesirable, Tony Bates and
>	   Yakov Rekhter have a solution in RFC 2260 tailor-made to this
>	   situation

This does not address performance issues.

>	3. the maximum 254 things in the /24 can be renumbered
>           into small ISP's PA space and announced to UUWHO
>	   with a constraining (set of) community(ies)
>
>	   (NAT, incidentally, was also invented to make renumbering easier)

All this does is swap the problem around, not solve it.

>	4. "creative value-added approaches to this problem are sold for $"

Why bother, when ISP-X down the street will "just do it"?

>If the premise that /24 is not an ISP is false, then it should
>renumber anyway into PA space which is readily available and
>a generally understood cost of business for transit providers/ISPs.

Agreed.

--
TTFN,
patrick