good advice for operators (forwarded, with commentary)

  • From: Sean M. Doran
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 21:33:44 2001

The muckslinging here reminds me of the break between
the operators and the IETF -- the users go on and on
about the evil motives of the operators big & small,
and demonstrate their lack of understanding or lack
of social skills in the process enough that operators
decide it's no longer fun to play.

I got a message from an operator people would recognize
that is interesting, useful, and relevant to operations.

Hopefully the good advice in here won't get lost just
because the author in question is on the "filtering side".

"announce ... aggregates [, develop a] sensible policy
[, and acquire] /20's for each location."

Who can argue with that?

Those of you who feel that regional & local ISPs are being persecuted,
please tattoo that advice on your forehead, backwards, so you
can see it reflected in your monitor next time before you
flame on NANOG about how horrible filtering long prefixes is.

My correspondent and his or her colleagues will appreciate
the reduction in stomach acids which are not good for any
engineer's duodenum.

	Sean.

PS: Well, it's even better if you never announce the
    more specifics in the first place, imho, but...

- --
| of course.  it may not be appropriate for someone paid by "X"
| to be posting or the source of the comments
|
| [...]
|
| On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 05:46:56PM -0700, Sean M. Doran wrote:
| > can i quote these two paragraphs please, anonymously or otherwise?
| > or encourage you to post them?
| >
| > they are an important dose of factual information
| >
| >       Sean.
| >
| > ps - bad cold, hence in for the night bored
| > - --
| > |     if people would just announce their /16's, /20's or aggregates
| > | as well as the specifics it would solve the problem.  people don't
| > | understand their allocations then complain to us.
| > |