Re: The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 21:09:14 2001

No, i'm not trying to say that Sprint isn't a sleazy big corporation,
it is, like any other.  Given the incentives sales people are given they
are actively discouraged from caring about company image or long-term
success.  Meeting their quotas and making comissions - that's the name of
the game, and exploiting situation of not their making isn't below them.

But the decision what and how to filter had no marketing or sales input
whatsoever (people who know me better would say that in an attempt to
provide such "input" these sales or marketing people would be told to
pluck themselves in a hurry). It was a pure engineering necessity, and
Sean did a very good job handling it.  Really saved the Internet, too.
Getting a large backbone beyond the stability threshold would've killed
more than just Sprint.

--vadim