Re: The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 18:26:31 2001

At 14:12 -0700 28-09-2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Sean M. Doran wrote:

 So we should throw away all the 7200s and similar routers today
 because they are in the way of growing numbers of long prefixes,
 replacing them with new routers manufactured since the time of
 the above-mentioned lesson?   And when shall we throw away
 the 12000s and similar routers (or components thereof) because
 they are underpowered in the face of routing-table growth, compared
 to well-established alternatives?
Still using an 8086 for a desktop?

Obsolences does happen....
If it happens faster then you amortize the cost of capital then your
investors will go elsewhere. This is not 1999. Money is no longer
cheap. Business plans need to be profitable. Spending millions of dollars
on a new set of core routers on less than a 3 year cycle can lead to
low stock prices, de-listing and possible bankruptcy..

Economic reality does happen ....
--
Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer                                 [email protected]