Re: outside the box Was: The Gorgon's Knot.

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 17:56:20 2001

At 15:56 -0500 28-09-2001, Dave O'Shea wrote:
I guess the model that comes to mind is something like MAE-West, which
at one time was using something like a pair of Sparc-20's to handle
several hundred various BGP sessions, and left the packet shuffling to
hardware that was designed for the purpose.
I don't think the route server can do hundreds of BGP sessions.

I belive the route servers have problems with more than 60 BGP
sessions. The limitation is a function of CPU power, memory, and bus
architecture.

Jeff Haas is the guy to talk to about realistic models for route
servers.
--
Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer                                 [email protected]

    "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
                                                 -- John W. Stewart III