Re: The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Sean M. Doran
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 17:48:20 2001

| Still using an 8086 for a desktop?
|
| Obsolences does happen....

As I've said many times since the early 90s, *I* can afford
top of the line computational power to solve my local problems.
Other people are not so lucky, and may not be able to help
grow the Internet any more if forced to buy the equipment I can.

Also, there are better things to spend money on than top of the
line computational power across one's entire network...

(That is, I try to schedule my obsolescences so that today's
top of the line stuff replaces the stuff that no longer is
sufficient for the core, which then gets moved in to replace
the stuff that is no longer sufficient for the region, which
then  gets moved in to replace stuff that is no longer sufficient
for the edge, or sold to smaller providers, or turned into scrap/art.

Accelerating this schedule is certainly possible, as is standardizing
on only one box which is sufficient for the core, but I think either
approach is gonna make our services much more expensive, and some
of our competitors and customers just won't be able to keep up...

The effects of decelerating this schedule, and how it applies
in networks which are smaller than the ones I tend to associate with,
or even end users at home, are left as an exercise for the reader.)

	Sean.

ps - to answer the question, my desktop is now one of
	NetBSD -current with XFree86 CVS HEAD & gwm
     or Mac OS X 10.1 with XFree86 CVS HEAD in rootless mode coexisting
	with the native Aqua graphical system
     plug plug plug: 10.1 is awesome (caveat: i never used 9 or earlier
					      extensively, so ymmv)