RE: The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 17:45:10 2001

Sean,

Not at all. Modern 7200-series routers, with newer NPE's and more memory can
easily handle full tables today, and into the future. Therefore, we don't
need to through away 7200s. However, should we all be held hostage to those
unwilling to upgrade their existing routers, and perhaps eventually, upgrade
to new routers?

Routers are, basically, specialized computing devices, with fairly short
lives, compared to things like household appliances, arc welders, or phone
booths. This is reflected in their shorter depreciation schedules.

As the upgrades that extend the life of the routers, in dealing with larger
routing tables, are also the cheapest - i.e. RAM, controlling routing table
size to prevent vast expenditures of money to replace existing routers
simply doesn't hold water.

The Internet did not collapse on the day that 2501s became incapable of
handling a full view of the routing table. There was little gnashing of
teeth or rending of garments when it happened. That is a lesson well
remembered.

- Daniel Golding