Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 15:40:08 2001

Sean,

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
	Sure, they filter, but they invite THEIR peers to filter them, as
well.  I don't see any hypocracy in that.
If filtering is "saving the Internet," why not practice what you preach?

Its a bit like complaining about poluted rivers, but continuing to
dump raw sewage into the river because that's what your customers
pay you to do.  And saying other water systems can filter the water
if they don't like it.
This may be a more interesting analogy than you intended. Many of those (me
peronsally included) who advocate filtering, would be quite happy for a
'polluter pays' scheme, though pollution of the routing table this time. IE
if backbone A wants to send long prefixes to its provider B, then I fully
support some form of charge from B to A in order for them to accept that.
Kyoto protocol all over again :-) . This way, disaggregation would be
looked on as expensive, as opposed to 'morally bad'. There is much evidence
to suggest the free market is good at sorting things like this out.
Currently, however, we have misattribution of costs.

SMD suggested this a long time ago, for routes in general (i.e. not
just long ones). He's right (at least if measured over a long
enough time window :-p )

--
Alex Bligh
Personal Capacity