The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 14:20:44 2001

I thought the major point in the filter arguments is the trade offs
between stability, route convergence times, table size, and the
growing customer desire to have reliability based on upstream
diversity.

We can't have unlimited route tables growth. Large route tables
increase instability and convergence time.

We can yap all day about inconsistent policies but nothing in
this industry is fixed except the limits forced on us by physics.

The technology, and economics tend to shift around.

Find a way to provide reliable multi homing without massive route
table growth and you fix many things.

I do not run Vario ... I will not fault them for taking a stance?

A more NANOG centric discussion may be to understand how many providers
would have problems given larger route tables. We all don't have routers
that can easily chew through a 100,000+ line BGP table.

How much can we give to individual entities without endangering the
common good?