Re: Which had more impact on the net?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Sep 27 22:30:11 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 [email protected] wrote:
>       http://www.renesys.com/projects/bgp_instability
>
> These pages contain some unsettling analysis of the effects
> of Microsoft worms like Code Red II and Nimda on global BGP
> routing instability.  They've been significantly extended
> since last week, and we *strongly* invite the NANOG community
> to send us supporting data (or even anecdotes, let's be
> generous) from the propagation periods.

I read over it quickly, a lot of great data.

One thing you may want to consider is the difference multi-hop
BGP has in your data collection.  For several years, router
vendors give priority to locally sourced routing packets on
local interfaces.  But on multi-hop sessions, I believe that
prioritization is lost which may show up as more instability
than is actually present at the local BGP exchanges.