Re: 2-4 gige DWDM

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Thu Sep 27 09:11:06 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Marc Williams wrote:

> Is there a cheap way of getting 2-4 gige wavelengths? (2 would do) We
> have some dark fiber from A to B. It would be handy to run 2-4
> seperate gige connections over it without spending squids on Metro
> DWDM kit.

I know some very cheap passive equipment that'll let you share 1310nm and
1550nm light on the same fiber. They're in the few $100:s of dollars each.
If you need less than 10km then they're very nice. We used them to share
1550nm GigE and 1310 FDDI on a 18km long fiber stretch.

Then of course CWDM as everybody else mentioned, colored GBICs in the
1510, 1530, 1550, 1570 etc nm wavelengths that you let share the same
fiber.  They go up to 40km without expensive gear.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]