North American Network Operators Group|
Date Prev | Date Next | Date Index | Thread Index | Author Index | Historical
Re: Points of Failure (was Re: National infrastructure asset)
Some cites have peering and co-locations diversity, some don't. InfoMart & Westin Building come to mind. Those should rank high by your list. At 13:19 -0400 25-09-2001, Sean Donelan wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 [email protected] wrote:> > When 25 Broadway failed, approximately 1% of the global Internet > > routing table also disappeared. Which I would guess qualifies it From what point did 1% of the routing table disappear? Was the same visable from multiple, diverse points? I expect that from some perspectives, 100% of the routing table disappeared and some places didn't even see a blip.The Internet as we know it is just a collective illusion. You are correct from one side of the partion, 99% of the routes disappeared and on the other side 1% of the routes disappeared. I checked four different BGP feeds from a mix of providers, and they were fairly consistent. But percentage of routes is just one way to measure "importance." It may not be the best way. Other methods include 1. Number of stock options owned by Very Important People 2. CAIDA skitter traces of routers of confluence 3. Number of OC-192 links in a building 4. Number of "Tier 1" providers in a building 5. Government fiat 6. Wait for the building to fall down and see what happens Assuming there are locations more impotant than others, should we do anything? Or should we just hope no one else figures out where they are?
-- Joseph T. Klein +1 414 915 7489 Senior Network Engineer [email protected] Adelphia Business Solutions [email protected] "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..." -- John W. Stewart III