Re: Data Center AC Issues

  • From: Jason A. Mills
  • Date: Tue Sep 25 01:12:07 2001

Also check out http://www.iButton.com/   ->   Thermochron.

I've used them on and off for wine-cellar monitoring. Temp only, but can
do alarm based logging, histograms, etc.

Apologies for the long quote, I'm trying to preserve context.

-J

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> my general approach has been to deploy relativly inexpensive
> temperature/humidity logging devices in places where we have "issues", and
> have our hvac folks rebalance some of our ac in that direction... in some
> cases moving hardware within racks, removing obstructions under our raised
> floors adding exhaust fan to racks has all helped with spot tempurature
> issuee...
>
> I can't really recomend a contracter, but I can recomend a temperature
> /humidity probe which might be a set in terms of establishing where the
> problem areass are...
>
> http://www.picotech.com/humidity.html
>
> connects to a serial port has linux and windows drivers requires no
> external power, costs $215. I either connect it to a convenient machine or
> hang it off a laptop and place it in the location I am concerned about.
>
> picotech also sells 8 channel thermocouple loggers which I haven't played
> with...
>
> regards
> joelja
>
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Can anyone recommend an expert Troubleshooting/Design firm that has
> > extensive experience with Data Center specifici AC issues?
> >
> > We have a strange problem (probably with the airflow/vents/arrangements) which
> > has machines in various locations dying due to heat, when the ambient temp
> > isn't above 90.
> >
> > I've tried to find folks to deal with this and I get:
> >
> > a)	Sales Rep's who want me to upgrade the entire system
> > b)	Folks who don't have Data Center experience but are willing to try
> > c)	Folks who claim to have experience but who either won't give ma
> > 	 	references or who's reference don't say nice things about them
> >
> > I got a line on two places in California (we're in Michigan) as was desperate
> > enough to call them but both seem to be out of business.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice and/or recommendations.
> >
> >         -- Andrew
>
> Joel Jaeggli				       [email protected]

             Jason A. Mills           [email protected]
              "La morale est la faiblesse de la cervelle."
                 Arthur Rimbaud --- Une Saison en Enfer