Re: Data Center AC Issues

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Mon Sep 24 22:57:31 2001

my general approach has been to deploy relativly inexpensive
temperature/humidity logging devices in places where we have "issues", and
have our hvac folks rebalance some of our ac in that direction... in some
cases moving hardware within racks, removing obstructions under our raised
floors adding exhaust fan to racks has all helped with spot tempurature
issuee...

I can't really recomend a contracter, but I can recomend a temperature
/humidity probe which might be a set in terms of establishing where the
problem areass are...

http://www.picotech.com/humidity.html

connects to a serial port has linux and windows drivers requires no
external power, costs $215. I either connect it to a convenient machine or
hang it off a laptop and place it in the location I am concerned about.

picotech also sells 8 channel thermocouple loggers which I haven't played
with...

regards
joelja

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> Can anyone recommend an expert Troubleshooting/Design firm that has
> extensive experience with Data Center specifici AC issues?
>
> We have a strange problem (probably with the airflow/vents/arrangements) which
> has machines in various locations dying due to heat, when the ambient temp
> isn't above 90.
>
> I've tried to find folks to deal with this and I get:
>
> a)	Sales Rep's who want me to upgrade the entire system
> b)	Folks who don't have Data Center experience but are willing to try
> c)	Folks who claim to have experience but who either won't give ma
> 	 	references or who's reference don't say nice things about them
>
> I got a line on two places in California (we're in Michigan) as was desperate
> enough to call them but both seem to be out of business.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice and/or recommendations.
>
>         -- Andrew

Joel Jaeggli				       [email protected]
Academic User Services			     [email protected]
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.