Re: Points of Failure (was Re: National infrastructure asset)

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Mon Sep 24 19:40:24 2001

> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:17:45 -0400 (EDT)
> From: mike harrison <[email protected]>
>
> Ona physical layer, there are WAY too many points where lots of
> fiber from multiple providers crosses the same bridge.... uses
> the same railroad right of way... too many to think about and
> stay sane,

Considering the high cost of right-of-way, it's no wonder.  I
wonder if this will affect people's and various jurisdictions'
views on the importance of allowing companies to dig.

I agree that the lack of physical redundancy is scary.  But,
given the difficulty of negotiating ROW, how does an entity
competitively dig where no one has dug before?  Right of way...
the final frontier.  (Apologies to Voyager.)

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence