Re: Points of Failure (was Re: National infrastructure asset)

  • From: Chris Woodfield
  • Date: Mon Sep 24 15:26:40 2001

One thing to keep in mind that the number of routes that disappeared from
the routing table, while a start, is in no way the final arbiter of how a
particular incident affected the internet's performance. While the direct
effect is obvious, other, less easily measurable consequences can result
from the loss of capacity producing congestion on the remaining network
infrastructure, as well as increased latency resulting from longer
backhauls. If there's plenty of available backup bandwidth, this effect
wil be minimal, but if not, let the pain begin.

As an example, a certain DSL provider has had to reroute their Covad PVCs
from 25 Broadway  to their Boston and Washington, DC installations, resulting
in their capacity to Covad in those locations being almost completely
pegged 24/7. Not fun to be their customer in any of these areas right
about now.

-Chris