AT&T network recovery preparations

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Sep 21 18:43:15 2001

As far as I know, AT&T is the only carrier which maintained
the ability to rebuild an entire central office from a "smoking
hole in the ground."  Last year the program budget was in danger
of being cut, and the program eliminated because it had never
been needed.  It was an expense, which couldn't be justified.
I spoke with one of the managers last year, and he said "It
would only  take one catastrophe to pay for my entire budget."
I don't believe he was thinking of this.

http://www.att.com/network/recovery/preparing.html